Since 1991, Lane & Company, CPAs has served as a public accounting firm and trusted advisor to its non-profit clients, providing audit, outsourced accounting and tax services of the highest caliber. We perform all of these services from our office located in Washington, DC. From the moment we opened our doors, our focus has been on our clients. Lane & Company serves non-profit organizations of all kinds, large and small.
Lane & Company’s non-profit accounting experts take the time to understand the unique goals of each client. As a full service accounting firm, our depth of resources and decades of non-profit experience are a true asset to our clients.
We offer our clients certified public accountants with “Big 4” audit and tax experience at lower rates. We possess the requisite skills and the experience of a large firm while providing the personal attention that larger firms often are unable to provide.
Our services include:
- Financial statement audits for organizations with budgets ranging
from $250,000 to $50,000,000;
- Outsourced accounting services;
- Financial statement reviews and compilations;
- Assisted clients with the selection of accounting software and the design of chart of accounts, financial reports and internal controls;
- Assisted with grant applications and grant extensions;
- Assisted clients with procedures for indirect cost allocation;
- Assisted with the set up of international offices and the related accounting systems and procedures;
- Assisted with the start up of non-profit organizations including filing for Federal and state tax exemption under IRC sections 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), and 501(c)(6);
- Advised clients on the accounting, tax and compliance considerations involved in relationships between 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4), PACs and 527 organizations;
- Advised clients on the accounting and tax issues involved in relationships between 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(6) organizations;
- Prepared the Federal Forms 990, 990-T, 990-PF and 5500;
- Developed cash flow planning and investment models;
- Assisted clients with the selection of fringe benefit and retirement plans;
- Assisted with the hiring of qualified individuals to fill controller and CFO positions;
- Negotiated with the IRS and state tax authorities regarding tax liabilities.
We believe that our extensive experience makes us well qualified as an outsourced accountant, auditor, tax specialist and business consultant for non-profit organizations.
Lane & Company, CPAs strives to combine a superior level of client service with professionalism and dedication. We feel that this approach has been successful, resulting in consistent annual growth in both professional staff and client base. Our service approach begins by obtaining an understanding of the business of our clients and their accounting systems. Our comprehensive knowledge of the US tax code, generally accepted accounting principles, generally accepted auditing standards, and our extensive experience enables us to strategically plan and execute our accounting and tax services in a manner that will help our clients meet their business goals in a most efficient and effective manner. Our client service is an ongoing relationship and responsibility that does not end with the completion of an annual engagement. We recognize that issues arise throughout the year that must be addressed in a timely and competent manner. We, therefore, are available during the year to render advice or assistance on accounting, tax or management consulting issues. We find that our timely response allows us to resolve minor issues early so they do not become major issues at year end. Our clients appreciate knowing that competent, qualified assistance is always available to them.
Robert E. Lane is the founding Principal of Lane & Company, CPAs. Mr. Lane is a Certified Public Accountant with thirty-eight years of experience in providing audit, tax and outsourced accounting services to non-profit organizations. Prior to founding the firm of Lane & Company CPAs, Mr. Lane was a senior auditor with Price Waterhouse in Washington, D.C. and later a manager at a local CPA firm. Mr. Lane is a member of the Private Companies Practice Section of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Greater Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants. Mr. Lane serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations.
Throughout his career, Mr. Lane has lectured on a variety of tax and accounting topics. Mr. Lane was selected by the United States Agency for International Development to lecture Russian industry leaders on U.S. accounting and tax procedures. The lectures were held in Moscow and Siberia.
Lane & Company, CPAs was one of fourteen firms selected on a nationwide basis by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) to participate in a study to identify the best practices in audits of non-profit organizations. According to the President of the AICPA, the selection was “based upon recommendations from your peers and your reputation and expertise in the profession”. One purpose of the study was to “share tested methodologies of exemplary firms”. The AICPA published the results of the study in a publication entitled Smarter Audits.
As a member of the Private Companies Practice Section of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Lane & Company, CPAs is subject to a review by its peers of its quality control and professional standards. Click here to view a copy of our peer review.